Proudly serving the Jackson, Mississippi community, our methadone clinic provides adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
What is Purpose of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse?
The complexities linked to the abuse of opioids require an integrated treatment approach.
For those that are struggling with an addiction to opioids, treatment for the physical, behavioral, emotional, and psychological components of their addiction must be received if lasting recovery is to take place. Group therapy provides patients with the ability to appropriately address each of these facets in an appropriate manner while progressing towards a future that is opioid-free.
Group therapy is a therapeutic tool that uses multiple participants within a single session. Sessions are typically led by an individual counselor, although some sessions may require the assistance of multiple counselors based upon the requirements of each group.
Objectives of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse
Like individual therapy, the main objective of group therapy is to address and treat the external influences that may have caused an individual to abuse opioids in the first place. Factors such as stress, pressure, a history of trauma, and mood disorders can often times cause an individual to turn to abuse opioids as a way to escape. Group therapy provides a safe and supportive environment in which to openly discuss these factors while working towards resolutions.
The effectiveness of group therapy is directly due to the counselor who is leading the session, as well as the individuals who are sharing their experiences, emotions, and stories with the group. The following are considered to be the primary philosophies of group therapy at Jackson Comprehensive Treatment Center:
- Universality– Eliminating any feelings of segregation by emphasizing the camaraderie of experiences and emotions between group members
- Self-understanding– Gaining insight into one’s own emotions and viewpoints by listening to other group members share their experiences
- Interpersonal learning– Learning from other group members while also being able to openly voice one’s own feelings and insights
- Altruism– Experiencing the importance of aiding in the advancement of the lives of others
- Hope– Coming to terms with the fact that other members of the group may have overcome obstacles that one may currently be struggling with
- Information– Learning more about the disease of addiction as well as what is required for recovery
- Imitative behavior– Creating new ways in which to handle stressful situations in a healthy manner by observing the positive behaviors of other group members as well as your counselor
- Cohesiveness– Feeling a sense of community, support, and purpose by sharing the therapeutic process with others
- Catharsis– Experiencing a sense of freedom from once painful emotions
By providing patients with the opportunity to work alongside other individuals who are also progressing towards recovery, individuals are able to provide and receive the support and encouragement that is required in order to achieve lasting recovery.
Jackson Comprehensive Treatment Center sincerely values the importance that group therapy plays in the progression of a patient’s treatment. The overall progress of our patients is increased when therapeutic interventions such as group therapy are introduced into a patient’s comprehensive treatment plan.
If you or someone that you care for is battling an addiction to opioids, please contact Jackson Comprehensive Treatment Center today. Our knowledgeable and compassionate team of medical experts is here to assist you in safely breaking free from the chains of addiction and retuning to the healthy, happy, and substance-free life that you deserve to be living.